Search The Fix

ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Monday, January 26, 2009

Ex- Wildcat Trottin' Around the Globe


"They say my boys dont dance, they just pull up they pants, and do the Roc-Away. Now Shagari Alleyne back, Alleyne back, Alleyne back..."
I have recently come to the realization that the Bronx native, Shagari Alleyne, is still hoopin' it up on the basketball court. I could have sworn the last time that I would EVER see Shagari was last year on a random week night at Two Keys Tavern. I kept hearing that the big fella was still trying to make it, but I thought it was just drunken stupidity. And from what I witnessed during his dreadful three years at Kentucky was that this guys future in basketball did not stand a chance. But indeed I was absolutely wrong.
Alleyne left the Wildcats and transfered to Manhatten College. His senior year he did not even play a single game for the Jaspers because he was a transfer. So in 2007 he entered the NBA Draft but obviously went un-drafted. His basketball future did a 180 and he was invited to the Harlem Globetrotters' training camp.
On the basketball court Shagari now goes by the nickname "Skyscraper." The towering 7' 3'', ex-Kentucky Wildcat continues to shock the basketball world. He is the second tallest Globetrotter in history and behind Yao he is the second tallest professional basketball player curently playing in the U.S. They say he loves what he is doing and has always enjoyed entertaining others. Now, Has the big guy made some drastic changes in his game? (like learned to even dribble, pass,use his pivot foot, or left hand??) Or, are the Harlem Globetrotters that desperate?
Who knows? But if you are wanting to check where they are playing this season get on ticketmaster and give it a look. I hear they are coming to Rupp April 17th. (I probably have something to do that night so I doubt I'm attending....)
Give some input.

1 comment: