Search The Fix

ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Thursday, January 29, 2009

One from the Vault

The Akron-based duo, who became friends as early as elementary school, have made quite the name for themselves in this past year with their April release of "Attack & Release." The Black Keys gained even more national attention after opening for My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks Amphitheater and releasing a live dvd in the '08. Their collaboration with Danger Mouse (Gnarls Barkley, The Grey Album) gives their newest album much smoother edges than their previous works. all of which were recorded in a basement in Ohio. If you haven't heard this album, I strongly encourage you to go out and buy it, for it will not disappoint.

If smooth edges isn't what your interested in while waiting for the earth to defrost, then I recommend looking into some of The Black Keys ealier work. While all are sure to please, I recommend "The Big Come Up," which was released in May of 2002. This whiskey soaked album is full of blues, funk, rock, and soul and is as raw as the sushi I'm gonna order when my student loan comes in. Reminding me of my favorite Rolling Stones lp, "Exile on Main Street", "The Big Come Up" keeps you rocking from beginning to end, and probably twice. Dan Auerbach delivers riffs for days, Patrick Carney gives you drums for weeks, and the two combined create a distortion that could last a lifetime. They hit you right in the mouth with the opening track "Busted," and the rest reminds me of a bar room brawl in Shawneetown, IL, blood-soaked.


No comments:

Post a Comment