Search The Fix

ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Legalize It

I’ve been contemplating for a few days what would make a good post on this blog. I really have no idea where to even begin with all the problems we’ve got going on in the world nowadays. I don’t know if my focus should be on CEO bonuses, starving babies in Africa, diamond mines in Russia, or the extinction of the polar bear. However, after much thought and consideration, I’ve decided that I’m going to write about an issue very close to my heart (and the hearts of the other stoned asses that read this thing).

The issue at hand is the legalization of marijuana (street name; dope, weed, herb, chronic, tree, pot, dirt, plus countless others). I cannot for the life of me understand why this plant has not been legalized. First of all, to “legalize it” would completely revive our economy. That’s the overall point I’m trying to make in this rant. All of this is purely speculated* but I’ve thought a lot about this stuff over my countless years as a recreational dope smoker, and now that our nation’s economy has really hit the skids, I think the time for change is now or never. Because we are in dire need of economic help in both our governmental and our private sectors today, legalizing marijuana should really be considered as more than just an absurd wish.

The first people that would be resuscitated by legalizing this crop would be the farmers. I find this especially appealing to those of us born and bred in Kentucky; being a descendant of the tobacco industry myself, I have seen in the last 10 years how the dissolving of the cigarette industry has truly affected agricultural families. Once affluent families in my hometown who owned tobacco farms and warehouses are now filing for bankruptcy or selling their land, and many of them are forced to take jobs at minimum wage, working at that godforsaken hell-hole we know as Wal-Mart.

If marijuana was legalized, these farm families would actually have a chance at continuing the professions they know and were born to do. Imagine if you will; my collective stoners and straight-edgers alike, if the amount of science, ingenuity and initiative put into growing corn, soybeans or tobacco was used on marijuana. The shit they have in Amsterdam wouldn’t even get looked at twice if Kentucky farmers actually got their hands on some goods seeds and got them in the soils they’ve grown crops on for generations.

To look at an angle different than that of our farmers, the effect it would have on our manufacturing and shipping industries would also be very significant. I mean this legalized marijuana wouldn’t go from the field to your lungs by itself. It would have to be cured, packaged and distributed somehow. Legalizing marijuana would effectively jump-start our stalled economy like a little wake-and-bake after an alcohol induced blackout.

Another point I would like to make on how legalizing marijuana would revive our economy involves the issue of sales tax. Everyone knows how much gasoline and cigarettes are taxed right? Simply put, about half of what you pay for gas and cigs is purely tax revenue. To parlay this fact to dope, I know I’d be more than willing to double up on a fifty sack or whatever means I’m buying if I could smoke that bitch on Cheapside’s patio or in front of Rosebud’s without the fear of being arrested and impounded. What I’m trying to say is that the tax generated by the legal sale of marijuana would be such a source of governmental income, that this 10 trillion dollar national debt our generation is about to inherit would rapidly start to disappear.

Let’s consider national spending for a second. If marijuana was legalized, the war on drugs would basically come to an end. How much do the feds spend on this “war”? I don’t have any idea but I’m sure it’s staggering. I’m sure it’s in the billions of dollars…. PER YEAR! Imagine if that was cut out of our nation’s budget. It would relieve some of this ridiculous governmental spending that we’ve all had to face the harsh realities of the past few months. Also consider the fact that without an illegal underground marijuana market, there would be a reduction in the amount of dangerous criminals entering and being created in our country.

Just think, if marijuana was legalized, people also wouldn’t need to experiment with truly devastating drugs, i.e. meth, crack, etc. and just peacefully go smoke some grass.

*This is just a starting point for a piece I’ve wanted to write for a long time. Cut me a break if you think its lame or just way off (hell, I was stoned when I wrote it). Any advice or statistics would be much appreciated….

6 comments:

  1. You've got some great points, and overall, I agree with you. Legalizing marijuana would have a lot more benefits than drawbacks.

    Another benefit that you did not mention is potentially one of the biggest. As of today, the prisons are grossly overcrowded. I'm supposed to be doing something else right now, so I don't have the time to look up the actual #'s, but legalizing marijuana would drastically reduce the amount of "criminals" that WE, the taxpayers, are paying to KEEP in prison.

    Finally, the one counter-argument that you'll always hear against legalizing marijuana is that marijuana is a gateway drug and the drug abuse of other, more hardcore drugs will increase. That, simply put, is false. Sure, it is true that if you blow coke, shoot up or do whatever else that you've probably smoked marijuana; however, I know plenty of people who have smoked pot and never done anything else. It's only natural that, if you're going to do the hardcore drugs, you'll at least try the more recreational & safer ones first. That does not mean that pot pushes you to do other things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I believe that "gateway" perception is just another way for adults and parents to keep their kids from smoking weed.
    You guys make all the valid points and Jay is right that there are ridiculous amounts of money being spent and not being made by our government to keep this stuff illegal.
    However, there are still many people out there who don't believe it is as innocent a drug as we make it out to be. But to their protest I would bring up the fact that while people do sometimes have problems with smoking weed there are probably more struggling from problems associated with prescription drugs or alcohol. Both of which are legal and BOOMING industries in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What get's me is that half of the people who think pot is the devil drug haven't even tried it. If they have tried it, they've tried it once and freaked out because they made it to big of a deal or they may have blacked out hit their head on the counter and knocked over a garbage bin (similar to an ex of mine), and gave up one it. They most likely freaked out because A. Their parents made it such a big deal growing up and college was the first time they have been seen it and freaked out. or B. They were worried about getting arrested. Both of which could be saved with the legalization of cannabis. With those two variables factored out, less people would freak out, causing less people to hate pot, resulting in positive economic impact.
    Also, the perception that pot is terrible came from the 30's when Reefer Madness was let out on shelves. The government made pot look like it turned people into aliens and made them kill their families, (stoners alike know that is in fact false). Our grandparents preached that same message to our parents who either, disregarded it as most of us would have and tried pot and liked it, or they listened and hated pot. Anyways, I also was stoned when I wrote this.

    I'm out.

    Good Post Frankel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I don't get. We have a clear cut example of what will happen when a highly popular illegal substance becomes legal in alcohol. Again it's just the "taboo" of smoking weed that I believe is holding all of this back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://digg.com/educational/Marijuana_Legalization_Yes_We_Can?#

    ReplyDelete