Search The Fix

ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

You're in the back seat

Weekly recommendations are back like cooked crack and colder than Billy G's response to moderately attractive side line reporters. Before we dive into what will hopefully become some sort of cult ritual for some, let me wax a little paganistic here and thank the snow and ice gods for giving me a reason to completely blow off academics and spiral into alcohol abuse which will surely last until the first melt. On to the picks that might just a little bit more credible than the Butt Blue Light Special. For this week at least.

Movie - I was going to cheese up some off the wall flick for the first choice here on the blog, but I believe that we'll just pay omage to the film that gave me the title to this post, Old School. Not much needs to be said here other than the obligitory, it had me laughing so hard I, quote. So this movie had me laughing so hard I thought I was looking at the girl I woke up next to Sunday morni...oh wait. Let's just move on.

Book - This is a little bit of a blast from the past for me personally, but its such a good read it was an easy choice for the first edition of recos. Jack Kerouac's On the Road, is a great book about a young guy driving cross country for no discernable reason. It gives a good look into what exactly young men generations ago thought and felt while growing up in a radically different time. Interestingly enough that doesn't stray too far from what is on most men's minds today: booze, women, and most of all freedom.
It's a real nice little read and I highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to fight off cabin fever.

Article - This is a piece from the Wall Street Journal talking about Fidel Castro's communist movement and the fact that many Cubans are growing a little tired of the burden the government now puts on their daily lives. Much like any other populist movement in human history the story is always vaguely familiar.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123255869235402933.html

Television - This one is an easy choice for many reasons, but do yourself a favor and check out the Tool Academy on VH1. Almost too much shallow and mindless comedy for me to go into here.

Those are the first picks of what I hope can be many. You might be asking yourself can I trust this guy to recommend anything? To quote one Billy Clyde Gillespie, "That's a really bad question." Thanks and stay safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment