Search The Fix

ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Thursday, March 12, 2009

ALL-TIME BASEBALL MOVIE LINE-UP



In honor of spring training and the World Baseball Classic being in full swing, I've decided to put together my best lineup from the baseball movie world. This is post is meant for debate so if you can sway me that someone doesn't belong I'll make a change to my lineup card.

Batting Order:

1.) Willie Mays Hayes (Wesley Snipes/Omar Epps), CF - Major League I & II - There is no doubt who I want at the top of my lineup and patrolling center field for my squad. Willie brings speed and the defensive prowess I like. He also brings that "Prime Time" swagger that I like in my clubhouse.

2.) Jackie Robinson, 2B - The Jackie Robinson Story - I tried to steer away from putting actual real life players in here but its one I couldn't get around. I needed a second basemen and to tell you the truth there aren't many good ones out there in movie land. So we'll go with number 42 because the movie is good too.

3.) Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez (Mike Vitar), 3B - The Sandlot - The Jet has it all, a complete five tool player with power and speed. The guy played all over the field and he'll fit right in as my third basemen. If there is any doubt about who I should be hitting in the three hole just remember he tore the cover off the ball. Not only did he tear the cover off the ball, he acted like he'd been there before, just what I like.

4.) Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford), RF - The Natural - With runners on base this is the guy I want wiping them clean. This guy has about as much power as the bash brothers combined not to mention a magical bat made from the wood of a tree struck by lightening.

5.) Lou Collins (Timothy Busfield), 1B - Little Big League - Collins is just the kind of crafty vet I need for my team. Yeah, he doesn't have the pop in the bat you would normally want out of your first basemen but I can't leave him off the squad.

6.) Kelly Leak (Jackie Earle Haley), LF - Bad News Bears - I know he's a punk and smokes cigarettes and rides a motorcycle but I'm willing to risk it for this talent. He's also got a canon in left.

7.) Crash Davis (Kevin Costner), C- Bull Durham - Exactly the guy I want behind the dish handling my pitching staff. Brings alot of experience and poise to the dugout.

8.) Ed (A Monkey), SS - ED - I don't care what you say but this chimp can pick it. I know he's not human but I don't discriminate. He was probably in one of the worst movies ever made but doesn't change the fact that I want him making plays up the middle.

9.) Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (Charlie Sheen), P - Major League I &II - This one was a tough one but If I gotta get a win I'm giving the ball to Vaughn with his 1oo plus cheese. He's a bit of a head case but gets the job done when called upon.

2 comments:

  1. haha... are you kidding me, Lou Collins in the five spot?! Seems to me the guy was more worried about taking Billy Haywood and his mom to Six Flags. As for wild thing on the mound maybe he could close for me, but im giving the ball to Henry Roengarner from Rookie of the Year... talk about a cannon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the most important fucking person... Who's the skipper? I'm going with Coach Morris Buttermaker (Matthau, not Billy Bob). Quit cutting corners Butt.

    ReplyDelete