Search The Fix

ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Monday, November 9, 2009

Not Reading Rainbow, but close enough




As an introduction to what will probably rival going back to work for the least anticipated Monday activity, I'd like to take a second for a little story time.

Recently while out binge drinking a good friend started talking me up on this dirty little secret of his. He went on about how its a passion he had just gained an interest for and really was getting into. Before the word dominatrix could reach my lips he revealed that this new hobby was...reading. Now believe me, I know you couldn't care less about that, and most of the time I wouldn't either. The fact of the matter was my friend is a product of the Kentucky public school system and a vast majority of people who are don't tend to explore the literary world too much.

Anyways to make a short story shorter, he knew I enjoy reading so he asked me for some recommendations and here we are. Now in all fairness I realize most, if not all won't read this or any book I try and recommend. But damnit too many people get turned off of reading at such a young age that its only right for the fix to change the nation, nay the world, one lame book column at a time. So without further ado...

...this weeks pick to read is called, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," by Robert Pirsig. Its a pretty popular book, but one that I haven't had the chance to get to and hopefully some fixers will check it out as well (and for the record its probably at your local library).

Next week I'll try and talk about some stuff from the book and put out another pick. Hasta la vista baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment